MS, Library & Information Science
Independent study: “Preservation and Access of Born-Digital Architectural Design Records in an OAIS-Type Archive”
University of Florida
Canadian Centre for Architecture (Montréal, QC)
Archivist, Digital Archives | June 2015 - present
- Establishes standards, policies, and procedures for acquisition, treatment, arrangement, description, and access of born-digital archives.
- Supervises four professional archivists and daily work of a digital archives technician.
- Manages CCA’s Archivematica-based digital repository.
- Develops software to enhance CCA’s ability to accession, triage, arrange, describe, and ingest born-digital records.
- Reviews and processes archival collections.
- Oversees project to disk image and preserve media across the CCA collection.
- In collaboration with IT, Conservation, and Collection staff, identifies, reviews, and implements key elements of CCA’s digital preservation infrastructure.
- Coordinates acquisitions of electronic records, acting as a liaison between records creators and CCA’s curatorial, archival, preservation, and technical staff.
- Advises Collection staff of the functional requirements for acquiring, preserving, and processing born-digital archives and trains archivist trainees, processing archivists, curators, and cataloguers as necessary.
- Develops protocols and tools for access to born-digital records in contemporary and legacy software in CCA reading room.
- Provides reference services for researchers working with born-digital records.
- Contributes to broader discussions surrounding the management of digital assets and metadata at CCA.
Tufts University, Digital Collections & Archives (Somerville, MA)
Archives and Research Assistant | February 2013 - May 2015 (except May-August 2014)
- Arranged and described archival collections consisting of paper, audiovisual, and born-digital materials using DACS and flexible MPLP techniques.
- Provided local and remote (email, phone) reference services for users including students, faculty, alums, staff, genealogists, documentary filmmakers, and professional authors.
- Welcomed researchers and oversaw access to materials in reading room.
- Performed metadata cleanup for a number of collections following migration from Re:Discovery to CIDER collection management system.
- Designed and installed exhibit “Jester Hairston: He and His Talents Prevailed” for Tisch Library lobby.
Harvard Business School, Baker Library Historical Collections (Boston, MA)
Project Assistant | October 2014 - April 2015
- Prepared materials for digitization, digitized content, and conducted quality control.
- Assisted Processing Archivists with processing of archives and manuscript collections.
Processing Intern | February 2013 - April 2013
- Arranged and described two collections of 19th century business records and cataloged several standalone items, creating EAD finding aids and MARC records as appropriate.
University of Wyoming, American Heritage Center (Laramie, WY)
Born-Digital Intern | May 2014 - August 2014
- Imaged and ingested data from nearly 700 pieces of media spanning 94 collections, including 3.5” and 5.25” floppy disks, Zip disks, CD/DVDs, and hard drives, using digital forensics/preservation software and hardware.
- Assisted Digital Archivist with research and testing toward the development of new workflows for accessioning and processing born-digital records.
- Served on committee related to management of born-digital material across the AHC. Helped plan for a dedicated born-digital access terminal in the AHC reading room.
“Data-Driven Reporting and Processing of Digital Archives with Brunnhilde,” Practical Technology for Archives, Issue 8, July 2017. Peer-reviewed.
Jessica Meyerson, Zach Vowell, Wendy Hagenmaier, Aliza Leventhal, Fernando Rios, Elizabeth Russey Roke and Tim Walsh. “The Software Preservation Network (SPN): A Community Effort to Ensure Long Term Access to Digital Cultural Heritage,” DLib Magazine 23, no. 5⁄6, May/June 2017.
“How to Access Digital Files From the Nineties,” CCA web feature, April 2017.
“Software Preservation Network: Collecting, Processing, and Providing Access to Software,” bloggERS!: The Blog of SAA’s Electronic Records Section, 4 October 2016.
Session review, “S10. Providing Access to Born-Digital Materials,” New England Archivists Newsletter 42 (3), July 2015.
“Preserving Removable Digital Media,” online (two-hour webinar), NEDCC. Offered: 4 April 2017.
“Introduction to Computer Aided Design (CAD) for Archivists,” online (two-hour webinar), LYRASIS. Offered: 9 March 2017 & 9 September 2017.
(See more detail on software projects here.)
Brunnhilde: A Siegfried-based reporting tool for digital archives.
CCA Tools: A set of processing tools (Disk Image Processor, Folder Processor, SIP Creator, and DFXML Reader) used in the arrangement and description workflows for born-digital archives at CCA.
METSFlask: A web application for human-friendly exploration of Archivematica METS files.
addext: Python-based CLI application to add file extensions to files based on a DROID/Siegfried identification of their PRONOM ID (PUID).
“Preservation and Access to Born-Digital Architectural Records: Issues and the CCA Approach,” Save As: Archiving Born-Digital Architectural Materials, SALT Galaga, Istanbul, Turkey (presentation by video conference), 1 December 2017.
Closing remarks, Designing the Future Landscape: Digital Architecture, Design and Engineering Assets, Library of Congress, Washington, DC, 16 November 2017.
“ADE Formats Primer” (with Aliza Leventhal and Katie Pierce Meyer), Designing the Future Landscape: Digital Architecture, Design and Engineering Assets, Library of Congress, Washington, DC, 16 November 2017.
“Software-Driven Workflows for Efficient Processing of Large-Scale Digital Archives,” ARCHIVES 2017, Session 201: The Future of Appraisal and Processing of Digital Materials: Software, Strategies and Scalability, Portland, OR, 27 July 2017.
“Automated Processing of Disk Images and Directories in BitCurator,” BitCurator Users Forum, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL, 28 April 2017.
“Selecting an Access and Digital Preservation Platform for Humanities Research in Audio and Video Format: Avalon & Archivematica,” (with Jared Wiercinski and Tomasz Neugebauer), Literary Audio Symposium, Concordia Univeristy, Montreal, QC, 3 December 2016.
“Session 309 - DWG, RVT, BIM: A New Kind of Alphabet Soup, with a Lot More Heartburn,” Session Chair, ARCHIVES*RECORDS 2016, Society of American Archivists, Atlanta, GA, 5 August 2016.
“Archaeology of the Digital & Digital Archives at CCA,” Museum Archives Section Symposium on Born Digital, ARCHIVES*RECORDS 2016, Atlanta, GA, 3 August 2016.
“Session 4: Partnerships,” Software Preservation Network Forum, Atlanta, GA, 1 August 2016.
“Introducing Brunnhilde: A reporting tool for digital archives,” TAATU 2016, Montreal, QC, 1 June 2016.
“Catching Up With the Present: Archiving born-digital records of architecture and design,” Born-Digital Symposium, University of South Australia Architecture Museum, 19 April 2016.
“Archaeology of the Digital and born-digital archives at CCA,” Born-Digital Symposium, University of South Australia Architecture Museum, 18 April 2016.
“99% Digital: CAD & Architectural Archives,” 4th Annual Simmons College Graduate Symposium, Boston, MA, March 2015.
“Democratizing Archives: Digital Libraries and the Expansion of the Archival User Base” (with Leah Edelman and Elizabeth McGorty), 3rd Annual Simmons College Graduate Symposium, Boston, MA, April 2014.
“Democratizing Archives: Digital Libraries and the Expansion of the Archival User Base” (with Leah Edelman and Elizabeth McGorty), University of Indiana-Bloomington SAA Student Chapter Conference, Bloomington, IN, March 2014.
- Languages: English (fluent), French (working proficiency - level C1)
- Archival content standards: DACS, RAD, ISAD(G)
- Data structure standards: EAD, EAC-CPF, MARC, MODS, METS, PREMIS, Dublin Core
- Archival processing: Experience arranging and describing large and small collections of paper, audiovisual, and born-digital records independently and collaboratively.
- Archival reference: Experience helping students, faculty, staff, administrators, professional authors, and genealogists discover and access archival materials relevant to their research interests in person, by phone, and by email.
- Digital preservation models/standards: OAIS, Trusted Digital Repositories
- Digital preservation software: Experience implementing and managing daily use and customization of production multi-server Archivematica-based digital repository.
- Digital forensics: BitCurator, FTK Imager, The Sleuth Kit (TSK), Bulk Extractor, Kryoflux
- Emulation/virtualization: QEMU, SheepShaver, Basilisk II, VirtualBox, VMWare
- Web frameworks: Django, Django REST framework, Flask
- Static site generators: Hugo, Jekyll
- Front end: CSS3, Flexbox, Bootstrap, jQuery
- Markup languages: HTML5, XML/XSLT, JSON, Markdown
- Version control: git, Github
- Continuous integration: TravisCI, tox
- Databases: SQLite, MySQL, MS SQL Server, SQLAlchemy
- GUI Frameworks: PyQT
- Operating Systems: Linux, macOS, Windows
- Containers: Docker
Society of American Archivists
- Web Liaison, Design Records Section, 2015 - 2017
- Member, Design Records Section CAD/BIM Taskforce, 2015 - present
Software Preservation Network
- Coordinator, Documentation Working Group, 2016 - present
- Facilitator, Meeting 2: “Understanding how working groups complement one another”, All-Hands Strategy Meetings, January 2018
- Member, Metadata Standards and Policies Working Group, 2016 - 2017
- Established an Open Science Framework shared documentation repository for Software Preservation Network project members and volunteers.
- Member, Software Development Committee, 2017 - present
Simmons College, Leveraging Encoded Archival Description Skills (LEADS)
- Project Volunteer, 2013 - 2014
- Encoded legacy Simmons College Archives finding aids in EAD and edited for DACS compliance.
SCoSAA (Student Chapter of Society of American Archivists), Simmons College
- Co-Chair, May 2014 - May 2015
- Archivist/Secretary, December 2013 - May 2014
SLA@Simmons (Student Chapter of Special Libraries Association), Simmons College
- Treasurer, September 2012 - December 2013
Mensions of my work